Friday, January 4, 2013

Encouragement for the Journey . . . 2013

What are your goals and aspirations for 2013?  Your new resolves and resolutions?  Those daunting tasks you've been putting off?  Will this be the year you succeed in any or all of those areas that you've been setting aside way too long? 

All of us have or will make those kinds of goals for ourselves, but what about your personal Spiritual goals?  Those things that draw you closer to the Lord.  Those things that equip you to do more for His glory ~ touching more lives with His Truth.  It goes without saying that we need to saturate our minds with more of His Word ~ purposefully reading it daily. Self help books are fine too, but be careful that you don't read so many that there is no time left for the BEST book of all.  

I remember hearing Dr.Leighton Ford, Billy Graham's brother in law, say many years ago, find a few good books that powerfully reveal God's Truth to you and periodically reread them.  A few of the books I've found to be helpful with my walk with Him are, The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence; My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers and another favorite, the little, but powerful book in challenging me to do more for Him,  The Prayer of Jabez, by Dr. Bruce Wilkinson. I use the Jabez prayer daily as I pray for me, my family, friends and co-workers in Christ.

My prayer for each of us in this new year is that He will bless us with more knowledge of who He is, using us "to make a difference for Him that is utterly disproportionate to who we are. (John Piper) "Expand our opportunities and our impact in such a way that we touch more lives for His glory.  Let us do more for Him."  (Dr. Bruce Wilkinson) 

~     ~     ~
 
"Jabez cried out to the God of Israel,
 "Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my territory.
 Let Your hand be with me, and keep me from harm,
so that I will be free from pain." 
And God granted his request."
 1 Chronicles 4:10

No comments: