Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Encouragement . . . for the Journey

Psalm Praise


The Psalms are my go to book.  No matter your circumstances, whether joyful, sad, disappointed or with whatever curve life throws, God always uses the Psalms to get your focus fully on Him and His sufficiency. 


The Lord has given me the privilege of mentoring a couple of ladies right now.  The place we go each week is the Psalms.  It's one of the best books in the Bible to show you who God is.  Each week we take one Psalm and find as many things about God, our amazing Creator as we can.  Using the Alphabet Praise method, we put Who He is, His characteristic or what He does by the appropriate letter.


For example, from Psalm 5:

A ~ Abhors bloodthirsty and deceitful men
B ~ Bless the righteous
C
D ~ Does not take pleasure in evil or wickedness, Destroys those who tell lies
E
F
G~ Gives ear to my sighing
H ~ Hears my voice
I
J
K ~ King
L ~ Listens to my cry for help, Leads
M ~ Merciful, Makes straight our way before us
N
O
P ~ Protector
Q
R ~ Righteousness, Refuge
S ~ Spreads His Protection over all who take refuge in Him, Shield
T
U
V
W
x
Y ~ Your presence, Your favor
Z


During the week the ladies read the Psalm daily and praise Him for who He reveals Himself to them, often times writing a personal prayer of thanksgiving using these characteristics.  When we meet, we talk about what we found out, then spend time praising Him together.   


I would encourage you to try this method ~ use it with your kids this summer.  Let them find out who God is from His Word.  What this does is keeps you from wondering who God is or "I think God is" to I know who He is. 




But let all who take refuge I You be glad;
let them ever sing for you. 
spread Your protection over them,
that those who love Your name may rejoice in You.  


For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous;
You surround them with Your favor as with a shield.
Psalm 5:11-12




 

No comments: