Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Encouragement . . . for the Journey

Trusting as you wait . . .

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:1-2

How often to we call out to God . . . God I need this . . . God I want . . . God if you'll only do this . . . only to miss His voice in the silence. He tells us to "be still and know that He is God." Being still doesn't mean you stop doing life, it just means to wait for Him to clearly answer. Often He answers with a clear resounding "yes"; often with a clear resounding "no"; but more often with a clear resounding; "wait." It's in the waiting that we G R O W in our relationship with Him. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4 Remember the words in 2 Peter 3:8, "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

Okay, before you say, "a thousand years"???, "I can't wait that long", it just means, God isn't in as big a hurry as we are and His ways and timing, well, are His ways and timing and He is perfect, without error. So waiting isn't a bad thing ~ although hard, it isn't a bad thing. How we wait reveals our true character and our obedience in not grumbling or complaining as we wait. (Philippians 2:14)

I love a quote I read this morning by Andrew Murray, "In prayer, I give myself to God; in the Word, God gives Himself to me." God's Word is compared to the greatest treasure you'll ever find. The Psalmist knew this. Listen to his words in Psalm 119:162, "I rejoice in Your promise like one who finds great spoil." He also went on to say in verse 165, "Great peace have they who love Your law and nothing can make them stumble."

The world will tell you that you can have anything you want any time you want. However, what the world offers is only temporary pleasure, not lasting joy and peace. True peace and security are only found in God and God alone through His Son, Jesus Christ.

If you feel like you're stumbling today as you wait on God to reveal His answer to your request,
1) Trust Him ~ Proverbs 3:5-6
2) Dig deep in His Word because all His Words are true ~ Psalm 119:160
3) Ask Him to reveal His promises to you in a fresh, new way today Psalm 119:73
4) Receive His Word with an open heart and mind ~ Colossians 2:6-7
5) Know and experience His perfect peace ~ John 14:23, 27.

"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in You.
Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD,
the LORD, is the Rock eternal."
Isaiah 26:3-4

No comments: