Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Encouragement . . . for the Journey

This morning I was reading from Acts 13. You know when you're reading, some times a verse will seem to leap off the page? Well for me, verse fifteen did just that. Simply stated it says, "Brothers, if you have a message of encouragement for the people, please speak."

In a note from The Living Insight's Study Bible, Chuck Swindoll says, "God's people need to turn on the encouragement! The family of God is not a place for verbal put-downs, sarcastic jabs, critical comments or harsh judgment: We get enough of that from the world. This is the place we need where we can go to be encouraged . . . the place where we are free to be ourselves."

I trust this verse will challenge you as much as it did me to be a better encourager to my brothers and sisters in Christ. This is not a time to "puff" believers up ~ that promote pride. No, it's a time to pray for others and a time to genuinely say, "Thank you", " I appreciate you", "You have such a knack for always saying the right thing at the right time", "You reflect Jesus", etc. You get the idea. Enjoy being an encourager today!!!

No comments: