Monday, September 15, 2008

Integrity

In the last post, the Lord had me share about a woman of noble character. Rather than moving to another topic, God is leading me to take a closer look at each one of the characteristics found in a noble woman. So often as believers, we want to rush on to the next thing ~ gathering more knowledge rather than staying put until we've grasped what God wants to teach us. Knowledge in and of itself is a great thing, but if we don't understand and apply it, we only have "more knowledge".

A couple of years ago in the small group I lead on Thursday nights, we studied the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:1-12). Each time we met we looked at one of the verses. We didn't move to the next verse until God said 'go'. When we came to the verse that talked about hungering and thirsting for righteousness, we stayed many weeks until this truth was worked in our hearts. As a result of our staying, without exception, the women in the study continue to hunger and thirst to know their God more.

Lord, as we take a closer look at the word integrity, help us to "be still" and wait as You reveal Your Truths to us. Show us what integrity looks like to You and work that character in our hearts.

The bible concordances I looked at define integrity as; honesty of heart, without compromise or corruption, ethically sound, morally well adjusted, sincere. In 1 Kings 9:4-5 Solomon is challenged to be a man of integrity. "As for you, if you walk (notice the word if) before me in integrity of heart and uprightness as David your father did, and do all I command and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised David your father when I said, 'You shall never fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.'" In Job 2:13, God describes Job as a man of integrity. Even when he was pushed to the limit by Satan, Job remained a man of integrity.

How do you respond when the tests and trials come? "Consider it pure joy, my brothers (sisters) whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perserverance." (James 1:2)

"We can't really know the depth of our character until we see how we react under pressure. It is easy to be kind to others when everything is going well, but can we still be kind when others are treating us unfairly? God wants to make us mature and complete, not to keep us from all pain. Instead of complaining about our struggles, we should see them as opportunities for growth. Thank God for promising to be with you in rough times. Ask Him to help you solve your problems or give you the strength to endure them. Then be patient. God will not leave you alone with your problem; He will stay close and help you grow." (quoted from the Life Application Bible, Tyndale House Publishing)

Recently a dear woman named Amy from our Church went home to be with the Lord after a nine year battle with cancer. For the past four years I've known her, I never once heard her complain, whine or gripe about her situation. She had numerous rounds of chemo and each time I saw her, despite her weakened appearance, she was always radiant (Psalm 34:5). This last year was especially hard for her. Not only was she battling cancer, but this past December, her young adult daughter died suddenly. Did Amy complain, (Philippians 2:14-15) or get angry with God? No! She drew her strength from Him. None of us will truly know the depth of pain she experienced from losing her daughter, and the degree of pain caused by the cancer, yet she remained strong because of her steadfast faith in her faithful God. (Psalm 57:7-10) Amy was the epitomy of a woman of integrity. Are you?

As you look at your own life, what qualities of a woman of integrity do you display?

Would others say you remain radiant and steadfast regardless of your circumstances?

In Hebrews 1:3, Jesus Christ is described as the radiance of God's glory, the exact representation of His being. How are you representing your Savior? How does your life reflect His glory? In the video series "Living Beyond Yourself" Beth Moore said, "Lord, let Your glory fill me so much that you push out my old nature."

Lord,
You know my heart. There are no secrets with You. Please search me and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends You and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24; Jeremiah 17:9-10) Make me into a woman of integrity; honest of heart, without compromise or corruption, ethically sound, morally well adjusted and sincere in my walk with You. Show me any sin in my life that is keeping me from being a woman of integrity. I confess it now and thank You for Your complete forgiveness. (1 John 1:9)

No comments: